Monday, October 19, 2015

The basics

Hi! My name is Max Anderson, I like long walks on the beach, and I'm taking a gap year!

 My former English teacher encouraged me to start a blog to catalog my gap year experiences. Being the flamboyant bastard I am, I was happy to oblige. So I plan to write pretty constant updates on my life for the foreseeable future.
Like most people my age, I don't have a clue what I want to do as a job. Through some self brainwash I convinced myself that all I wanted was to become an electrical engineer. So, I set myself up with a strictly engineering college and coasted on through my senior year of high school.

That was an immensely bad idea, like total garbage, as politically correct New York detectives would say, a heaping load of crap.

After the school year was done, and real life was kicking in, I realized that the curriculum at my chosen school was too narrow. There was no other option if I decided that engineering wasn't my cup of tea. Still, I kept on trucking and believed that the feelings of dread were normal and would go away when I started college.

The picture below is A1 spot on


Little did I know, my parents had caught on to my plight. After an exciting day filled with activities that I remember nothing of, because it was utterly unremarkable, I came home to both of my parents sitting at the kitchen table. 

IT WAS AN INTERVENTION. 

The conversation went something like this: 

"Hey Max, you should find a different school or something."
"Uhh...Why?" 
"You're obvi unhappy fam."
(Cue violent cussing, anger, confusion, and a joint fight to curb the urge to find the nearest blunt object to use as a maiming weapon)

The conversation changed my look on things. So, a month before classes began, and week after I had met my roommate, in what still holds as the most nervous moment I have ever had, I unenrolled from college. Since then, I have taken full time employment at a grocery store and plan to Backpack Europe for the winter. I figure it's a good way to spend the only large amount of free time that I will have in my youth. 

Neat!



No comments:

Post a Comment