Saturday, December 12, 2015

Polan!

First off I want to introduce you all to my favorite political internet comic. It's called Poland ball, or sometimes Polan ball. It's great, trust me. 



I am writing this entry while sitting in the isle of a moving train. It's a long story, I'll begin from the top.

In terms of trains, Poland is a weird and mysterious place. In most countries I have encountered, the train system is pretty much the same. With my pass, you get onto all of the regional trains and that's that. But, Poland decided that it needed to be different. For example, with my train from Prague to Warsaw, I needed a reservation for a seat from the Czech border to Warsaw, about a two and a half hour journey. The rest of the trip, From Prague to the border, (about six hours) was totally reservation free. Keep in mind I was on the same train, in the same seat the entire time. I paid three euro just to sit exactly where I had been for the past quarter of a day.
Fast forward to today.
I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed expecting the train ride from Warsaw to Krakow to be a two hour breeze.

This is when the Polish transportation system decided that it hated me

I hopped on to a train going in the right direction, as my pass entitles me to, around eleven. Around an hour into the ride, the ticket guy informs me that my pass does not cover this train and that I had to get off at the next possible station. That station was in the middle of nowhere. Great, no biggie, I'll just catch the next train, all I need to do is get a reservation. Boom, the lady at the counter gave me a reservation that didn't cover the entire trip from northern Poland to Krakow for some reason. Still no biggie, although by this point I was really, really annoyed. I was now back in Warsaw and had to either, wait until like nine o'clock, or just buy a ticket that would get me to where I needed to be. The ticket counter made sure to warn me that the train I was buying a ticket for probably didn't have any actual seats but I was welcome to sit in the aisle. So that's where I am now. The train is so full the aisle is packed to the brim with people and every seat is filled. We're all here for the next two hours.

Nice.


It's all for the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment