Thursday, January 7, 2016

Lotta stuff

Early on in my travels I met a guy that told me that I need a trip theme song. I've put some serious thought into it, and have narrowed it down to one probable contender; Len's "Steal My Sunshine". It makes me happy, for some reason I feel it's great music to listen to while riding trains. The closest runner up is a little embarrassing as it's author is someone that I have shown outspoken hatred for in the past. It's Justin Bieber's  "What do you mean".





Okay, on to real business. Or at least the stuff that people actually care about. I don't think I'll talk too much, maybe just as comments to the pictures. 

This is a picture of my host family on Christmas eve. From right to left it's David (My former exchange partner/good friend), Simon (David's brother), Sina (David's brother's girlfriend), Hannah (David's sister), Franzi (David's other sister), and David's mom. These guys are the best. David's whole family treats me like I'm one of them and made me have the best first Christmas away from home in the history of  mankind. 


David hated this picture. Sorry bro.


The town that David lives in is called Wollrode. It's really, really small. So small that it's technically part of the larger town nearby. That larger town y is also basically part of a city close to it called Kassel. The city of Kassel is great, but it was largely destroyed in World War two so most of it is pretty new. This picture is of another small town in the area called Melsungen. The entire downtown is made up of these ancient fachwerk houses that you don't see in large cities anymore. 


My Christmas present from David's family was tickets to the circus Flik Flak. I had never been to a real circus before so I was a little nervous to what I would experience. I mean, come on, clowns are absolutely terrifying. This circus was modern in every way. The "clown" guy was actually just this weird Swiss dude that flew kites indoors. Overall, I was incredibly happy that they would think of me enough to give me such a gift. 


I got a little homesick so we decided to go to a hockey game. I will admit that it made me die a little inside every time someone said ice hockey instead of just hockey, but I managed to maneuver through the night without strangling someone with a fan scarf.  


Between every period a sizable chunk of the stadium would go out to this small, ventilated area outdoors and chain smoke. You can't really see it well in this photo but the smoke was so thick it obscured the far end of the hallway.  


European sports fans are crazy. It was extremely loud. There was a drum. There was alcohol. I hope I painted you an accurate picture. 





No comments:

Post a Comment