Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Tourists

I want to make a post now about something near and dear to my heart.
Tourists.
By now you are all thinking to yourselves "Hey wait, isn't Max himself a tourist?"
The answer to that is, yes, But not as much as some of the mega tourists you see everywhere. I only take my large camera out some of the time and have not worn khaki shorts once.
I bring up this topic because of my experience the past couple of days in Prague. European cities are most of the time designed for foot traffic, as that was the way to travel back when the city was in infancy. They now have the problem of adding in car and train traffic which at times can make things very crowded. Especially if it's a touristy area.
It seems that most tourists have no idea how to walk in any sensible fashion as soon as they arrive in the place they are looking to tour. People slow to a shuffle, walk on the wrong side of the path, and at seemingly random intervals just stop where they are to form a phalanx. That's right elderly Germans, I'm looking at you.

Realistic representation of tourists stopping in the middle of the road for a chat. 

All in all, I really didn't mind the crowds. It kind of added to the majesty of the place by suggesting that it's almost a pilgrimage for some people. I even got to hang out with a New Yorker that showed me the key is to just walk fast and not worry about bumping into people. I let him walk in front like an ice breaker. If I lead I began to feel bad and apologize for every little bump. You can take a boy out of Minnesota, but you can't take the Minnesota out of the boy. 

Next stop: Warsaw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment