Monday, December 7, 2015

Wanna see a dead body?

Yesterday I spent most of my time seeing the sights of Prague with a guy named Kevin that I had just met the night prior as he was a room mate of mine. I really do have to say, Prague is exceptionally beautiful. It seems like every other building is historically significant in some way. At home, a lot of people said that it is their favorite place in the entire world, and I don't blame them. It really is an incredible city. Some of the better aspects are that everything is cheap, the city is beautiful, and the people are friendly. Although the city does have it's charm, I also feel like it's rather dirty and not very progressive. I began to think that being a tourist here is the way to go. living here is another story. For instance, I couldn't find a supver market that sold healthy food or had any real variety.
But, I digress from my main point.
Prague is a great city. I can't imagine a person would run out of things to do if they lived here for fifty years.
On to today.
I woke up a man without obligation. The day prior I had seen a cool looking museum and had decided that I should go there. I had no idea what it was as I can't read Czech, but it looked impressive and national museum-y. I got my ticket with my student discount. Which is awesome because I'm not actually a student anywhere. I just kind of have a Northland Community and Technical College I.D. handy.

Turns out it was a museum about death.

Yeah, It came as a shock to me when I walked into the first room and it was a pretty obvious preamble to a larger exhibit on cultural practices of death and dying. I hadn't woken up with a large desire to see a bunch of human remains, but damn it was interesting as hell.

"Oh look, a skull rack"

The majority of the exhibit was dedicated to what dying is, why dying happens, how humans have seen dying throughout the ages, and burial practices. The last part was all about unnatural death (Murder, Suicide) and seemed to be a little kitchy in comparison to the rest of the content. It took a swing to "This is how people buried esteemed elders in ancient Rome" to "HEY LOOK THIS IS A REAL GALLOWS OMGOMG LOOK AT THAT NOOSE HAHAHA".

If you're ever in Prague, I'd recommend finding this place for the death exhibit. It's right at the end of Wenceslas square. You can't miss it, people are just dying to get there. 


2 comments: